Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Garbage in, garbage out"

Ok, so first of all, I must admit that we only have an antenna and only get three tv channels. Two of the main networks and one all weather channel, so we don't watch an over-absorbent amount of tv, but I still have A LOT of problems with it!
For awhile, I enjoyed turning on the morning show and hearing all the daily news, but then when the commercials would come on my then 1 and 1/2 year old would be in the living room and watching the tv, when all of a sudden a warewolf commercial or vampire commercial would come on! I don't know about the rest of you, but that is NOT something MY child needs to see. Therefore, I don't watch the morning shows on a regular basis anymore. In the evenings, there are some shows my husband and I enjoy, but half the time, if the little man is still awake, we constantly have to make sure he won't see something he shouldn't. So, I think that soon we will have to just watch tv once little Pumpkin is in bed.


There are some shows that started out good, but then halfway through the season they brought in a gay couple and then therefore I was done. We enjoy the detective type shows, but often find them too "gorey" and would probably watch some of those types of shows more often, if they would just leave some of the "blood and guts" out.


Then there are the movies. We get two movies a month sent to us and yes, we choose which movies we want. But sometimes a movie sounds good and then when we watch it, it would have been 10 times better if they would have left out all the cussing, with every other word! Or else they have half naked (or naked) sex scenes scattered throughtout-I don't really have to see that either! A sweet little kiss or touch of the hand is nice, but too far is just too far!


Although when I was younger, I couldn't imagine life without tv and our friends used to find it "strange" (they never actually said that, but you could tell) that we only had 3 channels, I'm starting to see how we will need to start limiting tv even more as our little Pumpkin gets older.


We still watch a tv show about every other night, but almost all of those come on once little Pumpkin is in bed (thank goodness, we can watch without wondering what might pop up). But I'm almost ready to have a "no tv" rule while Pumpkin is up and able to be in the room...it's just not worth him seeing some of the things he might see!


Do you have any "tv rules" in your house? What are your thoughts on tv?
I'd love to hear any thoughts on the subject and also, what are some ways we could push for "cleaner" tv? I'd love to go back to the days where even husbands and wives slept in separate beds, so as not to show "too much"!

No comments:

Post a Comment