Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Calm My Anxious Heart-3

I have been sharing some of my favorite parts of the Calm My Anxious Heart devotion book, I have been going through. Yesterday at the end of chapter 5, Linda Dillow told a story about a time when she lived in Poland. They lived in a nice home in the Communist led Poland-ers eyes, but to Linda's American eyes, it was nothing special. They had a pregnant young woman and her young daughter stay with them for 2 days because they had no home. They had "lived like gypies during the three years I'd known them" Dillow said. They had moved from the husbands family's home to the young woman's family's home and now that they were having another child they still did not have a home of their own. (this was because of the Communist conditions in the country) Anyway, Linda Dillow goes on to explain that as she took the young woman through her house, she just commented on how nice and lovely it was, but was not in any way envyous. After they had dinner, the young woman said she needed to go wash out her daughters diapers. Of course Linda told her that she had a washer and dryer and that she should by all means use those. The young woman simply replied that she was used to doing it by hand and it wasn't a problem. After the daughter was asleep, Linda sat down and talked with the young woman and asked the question that had been bothering her all day. "When you see all the modern conveniences here for mothers of small children-washing machines, disposable diapers, baby food in jars-how do you feel? Life in Poland is so much more difficult!" The young woman replied, "Linda, when I lived here in the West, I observed Western women. They have so many things that they don't need God".  (my own summary, taken from page 84 of Calm My Anxious Heart)

Now I don't know about you, but I can look all around me and see many, MANY examples of just that. There are so many people caught up in their tv shows, the latest fashion trends, their kids sports games, or their jobs,  just to name a few; that they often don't have time for God. We have the internet at our fingertips any time of the day or night, we can access ALL kinds of information and media WHENEVER we want to and this many times takes precious time that we could spend with God and wastes it on things that in the end are NOT GOING TO MATTER! Let's be sure to not get caught up in all the THINGS that we have that we don't NEED God. Because it is becoming more and more real to me, just how much I NEED God on a daily basis.


For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps.
1 Peter 2:21



If you have never read Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow, I would highly recommend it.

Just to have this out there: I have not been paid to give these "reviews" of this book, I just enjoyed it so much when I went through it two years ago that I decided to go through it again and I am not disappointed this time around either! I just want to pass along a good book when I find one, so that is what I am setting out to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment