Thursday, March 1, 2012

Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow

This is a great Bible study/book. There is a 12-week Bible study included in the book and it says its A woman's guide to finding contentment. I first did this study with a group of women from church, a couple years ago, but I thought it would be a good idea to through it again...it really was THAT good!

This morning, I just started reading chapter one and it was telling about a woman who had eternal perspective. Dillow added in Webster's definition of perspective. "Looking trhough; seeing clearly; the capacity to view things in their true relation of relative importance." (pg. 12) This woman had this perspective while working as a missionary with pygmies in Africa, with her family. She didn't have all the "conviences" we enjoy. No electricty meant no air conditioning in a region where the thermometer maxed out at 120 degrees! It went on to tell how this woman's daughter found the key to her mother's contentment in an old diary:


            *Never allow yourself to complain about anything-not even the weather.
            *Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
            *Never compare you lot with another's.
            *Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
            *Never dwell on tomorrow-remember that [tomorrow] is God's not ours.


(all of this was taken from pages 12 and 13)


Now what if we all tried to live our lives according to those 5 points? How often do I complain about the weather??? MANY times in the past couple days...if you've never experienced the Kansas wind, you won't understand, but on Tuesday it was a day of true Kansas wind. Maybe that's still not an excuss to complain, but if there ever was one, that would be it! ~wink~ How many times do I compare myself to another??? I typically feel I do well on this one, but to be honest, I'm not ALL the time...who is? And right now, I've been dwelling on "tomorrow" alot. (example-if this would happen, it would be like this by this time)...I know, I know ALOT of "THISes"! I shouldn't be dwelling on what will or would happen if something would happen this way, if it hasn't happened that way. God may have other plans and I need to trust in Him to make all my "tomorrows" what He wants them to be. Anyway, although I've done this study before and I'm only half way through the first chapter, I see many areas where I can still improve!


I would highly recommend getting this study book, Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. Even though I pulled out a summary of a couple of pages, there are so many more things to read and learn from in this book. I by no means gave it all away. If you've been looking for a good study to do, that will pertain to every aspect of you're life then GO GET THIS BOOK!!! It truly is one of the best studies I've done! If you already have it, I encourage you to dig it out and take another look at it.


Philippians 4:11-13
"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, wheather living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."






No comments:

Post a Comment