Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Be imitators of God

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
-Ephesians 5:1-2

I was just thinking last night, how Pumpkin likes to imitate Austin and I. After Austin has been working on his truck or the car, I'll see Pumpkin "fixing" his toy truck. When I put gel in my hair, Pumpkin wants a little bit to but on his head. Just a couple small examples of how much this little man wants to imitate almost everything we do.
This lead me to think of how we are supposed to be imitators of Christ. We are supposed to show love to others, the same way Jesus did. We should live lives that express the love and hope of God. No matter what we are doing or where we are, people should be able to tell a difference.
Lately, I have to wonder if that is how my life is. When I'm getting my groceries, I try to be kind and polite, but does that REALLY show the love of Jesus. There are plenty of happy, polite people in this world (and plenty of people who aren't, to be honest), but what makes the difference? Where do people start to see that I'm different?
DO THEY??
I have been having this great feeling of needing to tell people, both by words and actions, about God and how to live for God. But then this brings me to...do I really live my life the way God wants me to.
Sure there are many things I don't do because of my beliefs and things that I do do because of my beliefs, but there seems like so many small things that people are missing. Things that have become such a "normal" part of our world that we don't think twice about them (at least most don't). Even though I feel that I do think about and don't do those things, what makes me think that I'm not missing SOMETHING? So lately I have been having to really look around me, look at my day to day things, look at my "normal" and see if it lines up with what God's Word says. This will be a life long process, I'm sure, but it will be worth it, to look at EVERYTHING and make sure that in doing it, that I am in fact "imitating God".

No comments:

Post a Comment